Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Generation Me

Generation Me

I’m young and I’m black,

But I don’t sniff crack,

Cracking my knuckles trying to figure out a math problem

Not trying to figure out how to get my jeans below my stark black bottom,

I send my white friend a message saying Xoxo,

She falls back in fear and exclaims,

Woah!

I’m thinking hugs and kisses,

She’s sitting there thinking sniper marks and bullets,

The fact that I’m black don’t mean I’m deadly,

I’m just born into it,

Ivory and ebony.

But generation me is not about my colour,

Not about my height or about my gender,

Its about the will and the fire I have in my soul,

Not about whether I look like Nat king Cole,

So please take a second and look past my colour,

Into the deep brown eyes so like my brothers,

And know that your future is not your past,

Neither is it the smoke you’re about to have,

It’s the addition of generations,

A compilation of thoughts, wisdom and a lack of retardation

This is a new generation,

Me.

1 comment: